Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Book of Joshua class

Last night Anthony and I started a class at church that goes over the book of Joshua in the Bible. I am not great at meeting new people and so I was a little nervous on the way there. It made it a little easier to have my husband there with me.
We were the first to arrive with someone arriving shortly after. Shortly after more people showed up. As the people kept showing up I noticed a common theme among all of them.....
They were all old!!!!

I was definitely the youngest (at 30) and Anthony the next (35). The next youngest person was late 40s early 50. The rest of the people were in their 50s and 60s and even one in the 70s.

So I was sitting there thinking to myself that maybe this class was meant for older people, or maybe I wouldn't be able to offer anything to these people here who were so much more wise than I. All of the people there had already been involved in church classes before and some of them seemed to know each other. I felt very out of place.

We read the last book in Deuteronomy and the first book of Joshua. Then we broke into smaller groups and had discussions about some of it. I really didn't have anything to say about it. I wouldn't say I didn't learn anything - I just didn't know what to say. Again - I felt out of place.

All through this time I felt out of place, but also comfortable. I love the church that I go to and it has always felt like home to me so it was a "safe" environment for me.

By the end of the evening I felt a little more comfortable, but still not enough to pray aloud or give too much input. I really only talked about my children. That is what I know and that is what I am good at. We closed in prayer and the leaders of the class said they hoped to see us back next week.

Anthony and I walked out to the car and as we were getting in I asked him what he thought of the class. I was surprised to hear him say he enjoyed it. He doesn't go with me to church on Sunday and doesn't regularly read the Bible so I wanted to invite him so that I could open the door for him. I asked what he got from the class and he listed some items and then asked me what I got from the class. At that point my answer was "I don't know".

We continued our talk throughout the ride home and I finally figured out what I learned from this first class....

to be courageous!!

God wants me to stick to this class. He wants me to finish it and be brave and work through my doubt. I have to be courageous so that I can lead my children to God. I got this from the scripture in the book of Joshua.

Joshua 1:6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment