Friday, February 12, 2010

Tooth ache

Well, it happened. I had my tooth pulled today. Not just any tooth, but my back molar.
I didn't want to go through the pain of another root canal (or the cost really), so I opted to have it pulled.
I went to the dentist sat in the chair and had my nitrous oxide mask applied. I started feeling a little funny and the dentist came in and numbed my mouth. It wasn't too bad, surprisingly. When there is an extraction of a tooth they have to numb the roof of your mouth, so yes I was stuck there with a needle!!
So I wait in the chair with my gas making me feel all floaty and dizzy and not having a care in the world. Then the dentist comes in and makes sure I am numb - which I am. So he and his assistant get started. Still wasn't too bad. No pain just pressure.
Then.... the cracking started. Wow that was really weird. My mind told me that it should hurt and so I tried to lift my hand to my face, but it was too heavy from my gas. So I just sat there and tolerated it. No pain, just fear of pain. So then my tooth comes out and there is a little piece of root left in there. So they dug and got it. Still no pain.
I was given post op instructions and sent on my way. It was about 3 hours before the pain hit and wow did it hit!! So I took my pain meds, which are a lifesaver!!!
The lesson I learned from this - take better care of my teeth as to avoid cavities and get them taken care of as soon as I find them out. Don't wait a year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment